Forsilvra :: Winds of Change

Go Back   Forsilvra :: Winds of Change > The Actions of Men > Caelain > Porthaeron

Closed Thread  

Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Default Better Sorry Than Safe :: [4/3, Lydon/Elisabeth]

The letter had arrived from the King, but only that, another from Caerthynas. The banners would be assembling and then they would travel to Forsilvra. She held the letter in her hand. She wasn't sure why she hadn't shown it to Lydon yet. She should have. It was not like Elisabeth to hide things from her husband. Yet she had told the servant to hand her the letter first while her husband had been holding court for some of the lesser lords. It was after all just a royal invitation. Yet if everyone was assembling...

Elisabeth finally knocked upon her husband's study, the letter clutched in her hand. “This arrived my love, from Caerthynas. And this, from the capital.” She was already starting to get tense. Seeing her family again, if she even wanted to call them that. She had forsaken them long ago when she showed up in Porthaeron all those years ago, scared out of her life. She had forsaken them when she wed Lydon. She was an Alysworth. She bore Alysworth children. She held out the letter to her husband for him to inspect. They'd have to leave soon enough and they'd have to gather the girls and the boys. She had thought of leaving little Garek here but he ought to see the capital too. “There is to be a tourney and a ball. Everyone is expected to attend.”

Last edited by Elisabeth Alysworth; 11-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

He read them over quickly, wondering only for a moment why his wife read the mail first. Of course, letters with a royal seal didn't arrive every day. "It makes sense, to go together," he said quietly, looking over his wife. He could see she had some apprehension. He understood why. Since the plague started, it had been fairly easy to avoid the Fitzwulfs, but surely they'd be at court.

"It will be fine. Court. Belleile. There's barely any of them that remember who you are..." The Fitzwulfs, he meant. William was gone... He stopped, wondering what else he could say. "The boys can enter the tourney, and the girls will love the ball." They had never seen anything like a full court, a royal ball. There had been so little to celebrate for such a long time.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

“We will take Garek with us too I presume? It should be good for him I think, but he is still so young Lydon. Mayhaps it'd be better if he stayed here...” Elisabeth was rambling now. Suddenly the thought of a ball, a tourney brought a foul taste in her mouth and not only that it made her nerves go on edge. “My nephew took a Blanchard to wife. What..what if she remembers Lydon?” She knew that much at least, but Elisabeth was grasping at straws.

“Yes, the boys can enter the tourney, t he girls, we can get them new dresses.” Elisabeth was trying to distract herself, but it was futile attempt. “Lydon...what if they do remember? They might remember it, what happened, me...” Although Elisabeth was sure her dearly departed brother William had probably blamed Adelard Blanchard's death on her or even a dreadful accident. Both were lies. “I do not know if I can face them. I do not know why I am becoming scared of shadows...I am no longer a Fitzwulf. I haven't been once since I was seventeen.”
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

"Garek will come with us. I don't know how long we will be and I don't think either of us want the pressure of coming home sooner to make sure he is well." He normally would ask her input, but on this, he knew that when he explained it she would understand. They had a governess, of course, but the rest of his family weren't exactly known for a nurturing nature, and he tried to avoid leaving his children with them alone. If Elisabeth or one of the older ones had been staying... But no, everyone would come.

"Jon Fitzwulf's Blanchard wife must have been no more than a child when you were attacked... I doubt she has any first hand knowledge. And aside from her.... The Blanchards are all but gone. We shouldn't have to face the Fitzwulfs for long, I imagine, what use does he have for a Caelain banner?" He wanted her to not worry about it, but he could hardly blame her. He knew William blamed Elisabeth's escape on him, and was probably none too happy. He didn't want to face his foster family either. But this was court, and he knew without the plague keeping them home, they'd be at court more often. Better to face it now and be able to deal with it the next time...
Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Elisabeth nodded at her husband. It would be good for Garek to come. “He is still so young but perhaps court will be good for him. We will just have to watch him is all. I do not want him getting into too much trouble.” They still had their daughters to worry about too, and their sons. The girls would do well, that she knew. If one of them was picked to be the King's bride however, well that would be something even greater.

Yet Elisabeth was still worried. “I, perhaps I am worrying for nothing but Lydon I had a dream again. The dream when I had wedded Adelard and then- then today this letter comes.” She didn't believe in signs or anything, but maybe the gods were telling her something. Elisabeth had given up her worship of the Hero when she wed Lydon, becoming a follower of the five instead. “Perhaps I am foolish but I have not spoken to my family in years and now I will have to face them again. I cannot simply ignore them. If Jon is anything like William which I am sure he is I do not know if I can ever come to terms with them. I cannot ignore them either as it would be uncouth of me.” Elisabeth sighed but then smiled coyly. “I at least have you to help me through all of this.”
Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 AM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

"There's no need... we'll be polite if we are approached by them, but we won't be expected to seek them out, and they probably won't be anxious to seek us out." Lydon thought carefully about what to say about the dream. She should not feel guilt just because the poison was meant for her... but clearly there was something there. "Perhaps you were just thinking of the past before bed. You should not worry, it will only make the dreams more frequent."

"They are only dreams, anyway. I will always be there when you wake up," he said in all seriousness. He, too, had thoughts of what would have happened if she had stayed wed to Adelard, or gods forbid, been assassinated along with them.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Her sister had been the wife of the Regent. There was almost no avoiding that. “Isabella was the wife of the regent Lydon. There is no avoiding her either- she is the Aunt of the King. She is a Princess too, a member of the Royal House. Isabella I am not so worried about. It is Jon that worries me.” She had always had fears that he was like his father, her brother. If things were any inclination of how he had been wed to a Blanchard woman then she suspected things hadn't changed. “It was only a dream but it was so vivid. I know we should hardly have to speak to them but...” She shook her head. “I am thinking too much into this.” She grasped his hand and gave it a kiss across his knuckles. “You know when I had wed Adelard, the entire time I kept imagining he was you and not him. I think he may have even sensed it too.”

But they had happier things to think off. “But I musn't spoil our trip for the children. It shall be exciting then, bringing them to court. What if the King takes a fancy to Rosamund? Or even Aimiliana? Then we shall have a Queen in the family.”
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

"Isabella wouldn't hold such old wounds against you, I am sure." He had known the girl once, but it had been a long time since she had spoken to her. But the girl he knew wouldn't have ever willingly written off Elisabeth. They had been so close as children. "I would not worry about Jon until you've met the boy. And perhaps we won't even have to meet him."

He smiled at the thought of one of his girls as Queen, but did have a moment of protectiveness flash as he thought of the boy King taking a liking to one of them. "Perhaps he might. If he wanted a Caelish bride, a Faerald bride would renew the ties of the previous generation, but he might not want to wed such a close relation. Deirdre is a pretty girl, but so is our niece..." Lyneth may be only his niece, but he remained close with his sister and would be nearly as proud to have her bear a Queen as himself. "I'm biased, of course, to think our girls are the loveliest on these isles."
Old 10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Lydon was right after all. “She is my sister and she still didn't contact me. I know I could have written her but maybe William had a hand in some of that.” She answered him. “Jon is still William's son. Nothing will change that. He has Fitzwulf blood in him and my brother was a tyrant. Only the gods know how he actually did manage to get his son to marry a Blanchard. I don't know Lydon. After all this time, when William wrote me off as nothing more than the reason the Fitzwulf alliance with the Blanchards failed and then I came here....” She shook her head. “If he had just broken that betrothal none of that would have happened. Who is to say Jon will be nothing like his father? He probably is.” Yet she too had been born a Fitzwulf but was nothing like her family.

But talk of one of her daughters as a Queen or even her niece, well that was certainly something to be pleased with. “You couldn't part with any of them could you?” She laughed. “I do not think I could manage it either. But you are right, they are the loveliest- they do take after me of course. And maybe a little of you.” She was merely jesting after all. “I'm sorry I did not show the letter to you sooner my dear I just- I felt merely shocked was all.”
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

"William wouldn't have allowed it. It's not... well, she was married off too." He wasn't sure what to say here, but he understood at least that there were many factors here. Even with as much time as he spent with the Fitzwulfs, they always seemed somewhat foreign to him. He still understood very little about the family, save Elisabeth. If nothing else, he thanked the gods for the warding for her alone.

He winced. "It was hard enough with Vesper, but she was the eldest... it's hard for me to even imagine that Aimiliana and Rosamund are near old enough for such things." They should also work on finding a nice girl for Valen... hopefully he would make things easier than his sister had. "Even if none of them become royals... well, everyone will be there. Hopefully the children will get out and meet others their age, and perhaps we can work something out with some other families."
Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Elisabeth shook her head. “Her marriage was different. I think she may have actually liked her betrothed until she had to marry the Fontenot prince.” It was strange to think she had been a Princess too briefly. But Elisabeth would never have been happy in Heldenbrecht. “I am sure we will find them good matches but we shouldn't let them go too soon Lydon. They are still our children after all. You don't want them to leave as much as I do.”

Elisabeth loved her children dearly. “Regardless I will keep an eye out. My nephew may be different from his father but his Blanchard wife will be whom I need to worry about most. But if you are right we will be able to avoid them. I wouldn't know what the Lord of Arbrecht would want with a Caelain banner lord or his wife.” Elisabeth was only reassuring herself. “So shall we tell the children tonight at dinner then that we leave for the capital?”
Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

"Of course... but I do want to keep an eye out for the right sort of Lord. This will be the girls' best chance to meet someone, after all." And Valen... well, he wanted his eldest married quickly, for many reasons. "Perhaps we should think about Valen. A strong woman might be able to keep him in line. Or we could pawn him off on the eldest Prothero daughter, marry him into their line." He was joking. Mostly. For all the trouble his son gave him, he loved him. But sometimes he wondered about Porthaeron's future...

"Yes, we should." He turned to the servant that stood in wait at the door and instructed him to go find the children and tell them they were expected to all be there at dinner. Yes, however long it took to find them all. "They will be excited, and you'll love seeing them so. Trust me. It'll be worth it for that alone." He smiled reassuringly, hoping he had comforted her some.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

She felt a bit more relieved now. She didn't know why she was so worried. Old habits were hard to shake, so were past feelings especially an event that had been horrifying for a girl of only seventeen. She was older now and far more wiser. She was safe. She had always been here. Yet she managed a smile. “That wouldn't seem a bad sort of idea. He needs a strong woman that can manage him but really do you know where he has gotten his....rambunctiousness from? I dare say our son doesn't take after you, or me. Then again almost all our children are mysteries in themselves.” All six of them were different but she wouldn't have traded them for the world.

“I know we could all use for the amusement. I just can't help but get worried. The capital will be different for them but we should manage I think. Dinner then? We will have plenty of time to discuss marriages later. I don't think I want to imagine all of them growing up too quickly. Ten more years time we'll have to be doing the same for Garek....unless you think he is old enough now to chose his own bride. I know children have the best sort of judgment.” She had a smile on her face. “Thank you my love for listening to me prattle on about unwarranted fears. Perhaps I am getting old after all.”
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

Reynard wouldn't like it though, being the heir, in place of Valen, which gave Lydon more pause. It was almost funny, his forefathers killing each other to rule, and now his sons barely wanted to at all. "Perhaps he'll meet someone. He certainly has had strong women to look towards all his life..." He always got along best with Vesper, after all, and Lydon's mother had been quite like Vesper as well. "I don't know where he got it, honestly. He's not like any of my family, and he's certainly not like yours... in good ways, as well, of course."

"Garek isn't old enough, yet, but I doubt he'll even think about it. If he makes a suggestion we'll have to take it into account, but it's hard to believe he will." Lydon had met Elisabeth when he was only a bit older than Garek, but even that he didn't think he really knew until later. "And yes, we should call dinner, the cooks should be nearly ready, at least." He stood and offered his arm to his wife. "Shall we go? I can't say if the children will be there yet, considering we just sent off for them, but we can at least be there ourselves."
Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Elisabeth Alysworth
House Alysworth

Tink
Character
None
None
N/A

Elisabeth smiled and laughed. It was true their sons were unlike either of them so much. Perhaps they had spoiled them? “I think perhaps he is some sort of incarnation of our forebearers perhaps. Maybe another relative of yours...or even a Fitzwulf from the past. I should have to take a look at the books about your family.” She looked at him square in the eyes. “But all our children are Alysworths. No matter my blood- I am an Alysworth and have been for twenty three years.” She was no longer a Fitzwulf anymore in her eyes.

“Garek should enjoy his childhood...but if we can find a woman for our eldest son that will be a miracle in itself.” She took her husband's arm before she placed a kiss upon his cheek. “This news is far more exciting than I thought it to be. They will hardly be able to contain themselves.” Her stomach already started rumbling. “Dinner does sound well now...my stomach speaks for me.” As they left the study she just hoped her thinking was just worry- yes, that was all it was.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Lydon Alysworth
House Alysworth

Latara
Character
Forty-One
Caelain
Married
Elisabeth Fitzwulf

Lydon laughed a bit. "I'm sure they'll all think I'm calling them for some visit from the Faeralds or something else of that sort. Won't they be surprised when it's about this? I'm sure they won't be expecting anything like going to Court." He loved his children, and wanted them all to be happy, no matter what a headache they could be sometimes. This trip would make them happy, and then he could concentrate on the larger things that might make them happy for the future.

"They are our children, both of us, no matter what name they bear." She had no love for her family, but his parents had been treacherous too. He wanted to separate himself from his father's actions as much as he could, and had endeavored to in the many years since he had taken control of the city.
Closed Thread  

Tags
elisabeth, lydon