[Basic Information]

Character Name: Vivian Harcourt
Character Age: 19
Birthday (including year): September 12, 222
Home Castle/City: Fyrsbruck
House [Birth and Marriage if applicable]: Harcourt

-------------------------------

[Appearance]

Vivian is a naturally handsome girl and uses it to her advantage but her arts and make-up are only decoration. She has dark, lively eyes and even features that easily change to express what she is feeling - or what she wishes others to believe she is feeling. Rather under average height, she has an hourglass figure and is slim without being skinny. Cute rather than magestic, she always gives the impression of contained energy and her restlessness can give her away. She enjoys dressing in fine clothes and prefers bright colours with red being her favourite.

[Personality]
Vivian's character is defined by a mixture of energy, loyalty, cleverness, and ambition. Blessed with both beauty and brains, her main struggle from early childhood has been to prove herself within her family and make her voice heard. She is desperate to succeed - at something, anything - and earn the respect and attention of her parents and siblings. Over time, this has developed into a burning drive and ambition to make something of herself in the world at large either by her own merits alone or eventually through an extremely advantageous marriage. Possibly both, for it is unlikely that she would ever truly submit to a husband though she would make very sure he thought she did. Unlike Iridia, she has no taste for public power. Rather, she would prefer to pull the strings behind the scenes and gain influence through more subtle means. Sometimes she dreams of leaving Arbrecht and marrying a province lord or the heir to a province, going to Forsilvra and marrying into royalty even. She believes she could do it too, though in rare moments of self-doubt she is not sure how much she would really like to go so far away.

This is because, despite the squabbles and rivalry that must happen between so many siblings who are so close in age, she loves her family dearly and however much she does to advance her own status, she would do double to advance theirs. She would go to any lengths - and Vivian being who she is, these could be quite extreme - to protect her family and her family's interests.

Fortunately for someone who wishes to accomplish so much, Vivian is a firebrand. She is as quick to move as she is quick to think and seems to have an almost boundless reserve of energy and enthusiasm for whatever scheme she is currently engaged in, whether that is charming a diplomat, rowing with her siblings, or concocting the most unnecessarily complicated (but oh so fun!) plot to get information from a suspicious dock worker. Rarely down for long, if one role or scheme comes to an end, she is quick to bounce back and plan her next move. She loves being somebody she is not to such an extent that it is often hard to tell where her favourite role of "fine lady" ends and the real Vivian begins for she can adapt quickly as required and relishes doing so. Nevertheless, her recent adventure as the boy "Victor" has shocked her into the realisation of what can go wrong when she takes this acting too far. Her illness has given her a chance to consider her life more than she has ever done before and she has vowed to herself to only act in a way that is fitting of her social position in future. The last thing she wants, after all, is to bring disgrace on her family.

Ultimately Vivian sees the world as something of a chessboard. She knows that as things stand she is still only a pawn but despite the necessary sacrifices of pieces along the way and occasionally having to take several steps backwards or to the sides, she is quite determined eventually to cross the board and become a queen and she has every intention of enjoying the journey.

[History]

Vivian is the third child or Ian and Iona Harcourt and one of six children in five years. Surrounded by so many siblings so close in age, from the beginning Vivian struggled to make her voice heard. Initially she tagged along with her elder brother and sister, the twins, and was almost impossibly naughty. If Iridia behaved like a boy, then she imitated Iridia and followed her into scrapes and trouble. At the age of nine, however, she played one prank too many and her parents came down on her heavily. From this moment she was taken particularly under her mother's wing and trained up to be a perfect lady of Fyrsbruck.

Vivian took to her new education like a duck to water, enjoying learning etiquette, posture, dance, music, sewing, and most of all, the arts of conversation, charm, and flirtation as much as she had enjoyed borrowing her brother's clothes and messing about in the mud as a younger child. She discovered a talent for imitation and acting and easily absorbed new characters and patterns of behaviour, taking her mother as the ultimate inspiration for how to behave.

All the training paid off, for Vivian grew up as beautiful and refined as her elder sister was strong and tempestuous. Aware of her own attractions and taught how to use them, she practised her arts on almost any man she came into contact with, refining her skill and enthusiastically learning from any set-back. Still, the seduction attempts and the charm is all as much a game to her as any role she played as a child. She has never fallen in love and she remains a virgin, always pulling back before anything serious could happen. She has consequently gained a reputation for being a tremendous flirt.

Recently, Vivian's skills for duplicity and quick-thinking have been put to the test in the most ambitious way she has experienced so far in her life and they have fallen short of the mark. Instructed by her mother to investigate the mysterious "Philip Gilchrist" working at the docks, Vivian went too far in her enjoyment of acting and adopted the role of a young boy. It had been inappropriate for her as a child, and was even more so as a young lady, and she has paid dearly for her fun by a serious illness and a threat to her reputation. Vivian has learned an important lesson here about the real life consequences of what up till now has all seemed something of a game to her.

[Writing Sample]

The study was dark when Vivian entered, the only way she could be sure of it being empty. It was lucky she had brought a candle. For a few moments she stood completely still as her eyes adjusted and she took stock of the space. The desk was on the far side of the room and she made her way there directly, taking care to walk in such a way that the soft clip of her court heels remained silent on the polished floor.

It was a large desk and not left tidy. Vivian placed the candle down in the centre and immediately started to sift through the mountains of papers scattered over it. This could take ages, she thought with an internal sigh, her mind considering other possible places the letter could have been left even while she was still skimming over a dull policy document.

The top line of a letter shoved away at the back of a drawer caught her attention.

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

It has come to our attention that-

She had just started to read it when she heard the click of the door. She pushed the letter down her bodice, readjusted her cleavage and just had time to dart around the front of the desk and pick up the candle before a curious servant entered the room.

"Oh, you startled me!" Vivian cried, clasping her free hand to her chest, breathing rapidly and treating him to an apologetic but charming smile.

"My lady?" He was confused by her presence.

She took a few steps forward, owning the space. "I'm such a fool; I left my shawl somewhere earlier - my favourite shawl with little gold stars on it that was a present from my sister. I was only in here for two minutes but I could have dropped it anywhere. There are so many places it could be..." She trailed off and looked at him with pleading helplessness.

"Would you like me to help me look for you, my lady?" the servant said, as she knew he would.

Immediately the smile was back in full force. "Oh, would you mind? I am sure you must be so busy. I haven't checked the dining hall yet...?"

"Of course, my lady."

But he still hesitated and she immediately turned around, more slowly than she usually would, and walked over to the cloak stand in the corner of the room as if to look over the coats and scarves on it. "I'll just be two minutes. Thank you, so so much!"

Bowing to her and blushing (probably, it was too dark to see but she could just tell) he left her alone. Immediately she pressed her eyes closed in relief and exhaled. For a moment she was simply glad that the servant had bought her story, but then she came to life again. She pulled the letter out of bosum, she held the candle close to it and read it quickly twice, making sure she had understood its entire contents. Then she neatly replaced it at the back of the drawer in which she had found it, glanced over the desk to check it did not look any different to when she had arrived - messiness definitely had its advantages - and finally left the room, not even taking any trouble to hide her footsteps. After all, she had a ready-made excuse to be there now.

[Timeline of Events]

FYRSBRUCK
222: Vivian is born.
231: Vivian plays one tomboyish prank too many and is set on the straight and narrow to train to be a lady.
241: Game begins. Erin joins Princess Aurora’s entourage as a Lady in Waiting. Vivian is struck down with illness after being caught in a compromising position while pretending to be "Victor". Fyrsbruck is attacked, Iona Harcourt dies, Vivian and several family members escape to Mier.

Last edited by Rose; 09-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Rose

Player
Character
None
None
N/A
N/A

Think I'm done with this!
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

@John and @Lahariel and @Friday (or, me if she's not on cuz of the holiday) <3
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM
John
Bitchgobblet Potatos

Player
Character
None
None
N/A

APPPROVED LOVE HER ROSE I AM SO PLEASED

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Lahariel
The Devil's Advocate

Lahariel
Character
Legal
Forsilvra
None
None
N/A

Totes APPROVED m'dear! So happy to have you aboard!
Lahariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Jenn
The Lioness of Forsilvra

Goddess
Character
Immortal
Mt Olympus
Married
Forsilvra <3
N/A
N/A

Send a message via AIM to Jenn

ACCEPTED!

All required parties have approved your profile and you may now post.

Links of Importance

Profile Set Up Directions - Read this to ensure you do everything required to properly set up your character profile. Ensure your character's display name is the proper color.

Plot Pages Forum - Swing by here to make your plot page and post on others

Province Plot Threads - Contain the timeline for each province. Use this to ensure your character starts in the right place.

Tags
vivian